Watching America’s Funniest Home Videos of people’s slips, trips and falls is funny, but if it happens to you and you are injured, the laughter ceases. If the fall is the result of another person’s negligence, there may even be some financial compensation for your suffering.
You will need to prove that accident was indeed the fault of another. There are several ways to do this:
- Photographs of the hazard at the time you fell
- Eye witness testimony of the incident. Gather as many names and phone numbers as there were people who saw what happened or observed the hazardous conditions.
- Private investigation of the whole matter
- Doctor’s reports of your injury, including forensic evidence of the cause of injury
Identify & Avoid
Some accidents happen before a person realizes there is danger. Other incidents can be avoided if people are aware of their surroundings. Here are some things to which you can pay attention:
- Wet floors in shopping centers – While the supermarket employees are required to put up Caution Wet Floor signs, they may not yet be aware of the spill.
- Icy Walkways – There may be black ice, or slick pavement due to a recent rain. Walk carefully when you step onto public sidewalks and outside passageways.
- Uneven ground – Some places are not smooth and easy to navigate. If you are prone to falling, take a moment to look at the ground before you attempt to walk across it. Even sidewalks can become cracked and uneven. Make sure you pick up your feet enough to clear the area and avoid slips, trips and falls.
- Fallen leaves when Wet – Stepping on fallen leaves can be a danger all its own. There is often moisture underneath the leaves, and they can cause your feet to go right out from under you.
- Fractured Hip – Falling can put a twist on the bone which attaches your leg to your body resulting in a broken hip bone. These injuries are very painful and often slow to heal
- Concussion – Hitting your head in a fall can lead to serious brain swelling. Beware if you see stars or black out; these can be signs of minor to major concussion
- Broken Arm – Anyone who has ever had to endure weeks and weeks in a cast knows that breaking an arm is no fun!
- Chronic Back Pain – Often resulting from spinal misalignment, chronic back pain can lead to other problems such as loss of sleep, inability to work, and eventual nerve damage. Be sure to see your therapist for advice on how to correct the issue.
If any of these slips, trips and falls have happened to you, call the professionals at Litster Frost to see how they can help you receive compensation for your suffering. After you have sought medical attention for your injuries, documented how and why the accident happened, call the attorneys who know how to help. There is no need for you to suffer alone and without resources.
Have you suffered head injuries, broken bones, or other injuries after a fall? Was your fall entirely preventable if only the area hadn’t been so slippery? If so, the property owner may be obligated to provide you full compensation for your injuries, missed time from work, and other damages.
To find out what you may be able to recover, talk to Litster Frost Injury Lawyers. We’re one of the largest personal injury firms in Idaho and we dedicate our practice to helping those injured in slip and fall accidents and other personal injury accidents. We operate on a contingency basis, so we don’t take a fee unless you recover. For a free consultation, schedule an appointment now.
What Causes Slip And Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents have a wide range of causes including the following:
- Spilled liquids or dropped items
- Cracked or uneven surfaces
- Unprotected wires or hoses
- Tree limbs and other yard waste
When Can You Bring A Slip And Fall Claim?
You can bring a slip and fall claim when your fall was caused by a dangerous condition that could have been reasonably prevented. Property owners must ensure that any areas open to the public are in good repair. They must also perform routine preventive maintenance, and regularly monitor for any new hazards. During snow season, Boise property owners must clear the sidewalks in front of their business by 9:00 A.M. and throughout the day if snow continues.
When a property owner fails to take these steps, they are liable for any injuries that happen as a result. Even if you feel embarrassed or feel that you should have seen and avoided the hazard, the property owner is still negligent if they could have reasonably prevented the dangerous condition. As long as you were not doing something unreasonably unsafe, such as running through a store when you were injured, you have the right to recover for the property owner’s negligence.
Who Do You Make A Slip And Fall Claim Against?
A slip and fall claim should be made against the party responsible for the dangerous situation. Sometimes however, it isn’t always clear who the responsible party is if the property isn’t owned and operated by the same entity. If the slip and fall happened inside of a rented business, you would likely recover directly from the business. If it happened outside, it may be the responsibility of that business, a neighboring business, the landlord, or a management company. Sidewalks are another special case — they are usually the responsibility of the private property owner even if they were installed by the city and are located within a public easement.
It’s important to make sure you identify the right party, because bringing a suit against the wrong party could result in your claim being dismissed and you being past the deadline to bring it against the responsible party.
Get Help From A Slip And Fall Lawyer
Our firm will help you to identify the responsible party, gather the proof you need, and seek the maximum compensation you’re entitled to under the law. We’ll also work with any insurance companies covering the property owner to try to get a recovery without going to court. However, if the amount they offer doesnt seem fair to you, and they are unwilling to offer more, we will be ready to take your case to trial. To learn more or to begin the process, schedule a free consultation now.