Watching America’s Funniest Home Videos of people’s slips, trips and falls is funny, but if it happens to you and you are injured, the laughter ceases. If the fall is the result of another person’s negligence, there may even be some financial compensation for your suffering.
You will need to prove that accident was indeed the fault of another. There are several ways to do this:
- Photographs of the hazard at the time you fell
- Eye witness testimony of the incident. Gather as many names and phone numbers as there were people who saw what happened or observed the hazardous conditions.
- Private investigation of the whole matter
- Doctor’s reports of your injury, including forensic evidence of the cause of injury
Identify & Avoid
Some accidents happen before a person realizes there is danger. Other incidents can be avoided if people are aware of their surroundings. Here are some things to which you can pay attention:
- Wet floors in shopping centers – While the supermarket employees are required to put up Caution Wet Floor signs, they may not yet be aware of the spill.
- Icy Walkways – There may be black ice, or slick pavement due to a recent rain. Walk carefully when you step onto public sidewalks and outside passageways.
- Uneven ground – Some places are not smooth and easy to navigate. If you are prone to falling, take a moment to look at the ground before you attempt to walk across it. Even sidewalks can become cracked and uneven. Make sure you pick up your feet enough to clear the area and avoid slips, trips and falls.
- Fallen leaves when Wet – Stepping on fallen leaves can be a danger all its own. There is often moisture underneath the leaves, and they can cause your feet to go right out from under you.
- Fractured Hip – Falling can put a twist on the bone which attaches your leg to your body resulting in a broken hip bone. These injuries are very painful and often slow to heal
- Concussion – Hitting your head in a fall can lead to serious brain swelling. Beware if you see stars or black out; these can be signs of minor to major concussion
- Broken Arm – Anyone who has ever had to endure weeks and weeks in a cast knows that breaking an arm is no fun!
- Chronic Back Pain – Often resulting from spinal misalignment, chronic back pain can lead to other problems such as loss of sleep, inability to work, and eventual nerve damage. Be sure to see your therapist for advice on how to correct the issue.
If any of these slips, trips and falls have happened to you, call the professionals at Litster Frost to see how they can help you receive compensation for your suffering. After you have sought medical attention for your injuries, documented how and why the accident happened, call the attorneys who know how to help. There is no need for you to suffer alone and without resources.