CALL US: (208) 333-3330

How to Handle Accidents with Uninsured Drivers

Ideally, all motorists carry insurance to cover accidents for which they are at fault. In reality, not all motorists have insurance for one reason or another. If you should happen to have the misfortune of being hit by one of the many uninsured drivers, there are options available.

  • Cash from the Driver – Now that would be ideal! However, if the motorist had that kind of money, he or she would probably be carrying insurance. Many people must make the choice between food on the table and auto insurance, and they choose the food. This is not a legal option, but it does happen.
  • Payment Arrangements – This can be accomplished through a small claims or civil court if you believe a court order would be beneficial to insuring the at-fault driver pays for the expenses related to the accident. This can be costly if the defendant does not pay and you have to return to court. Seeking the counsel of a professional attorney, such as the friendly folks at Litster Frost, is a great way to make sure you are exercising all your legal rights.
  • Your Own Insurance – Your policy may include a provision for underinsured or uninsured drivers. This is a wise option when setting up a new policy. If you have not done so already, you can add this portion now and save yourself a lot of time and anxiety in the future. This option will often pay the difference between the total cost and what the other driver cannot pay. Even if he or she pays cash, you do not have to be stuck with the rest of the bill.
  • Idaho Transportation Department Action – If you have obtained a judgment against a driver for damages to body or property, and the defendant fails to pay, the ITD can help. Upon receipt of a certified copy of the unpaid judgment, they will issue an Order of Intent to Suspend to the driver. This will suspend the driver’s license and driving privileges until he or she pays the judgment or payment agreement is executed. At this time, the driver must file proof of financial responsibility (proof of ability to pay damages arising from liability equal to the minimum standards in Idaho) with the department and pay a reinstatement fee. If the driver is a minor, you may file against his or her parents; if the vehicle is owned by another person, you may file against the owner. Even if the owner is from out-of-state, you can take this action and Idaho will help you. You can find out more about this from the ITD website.

In the event that you need assistance with filing claims, recouping losses from underinsured or uninsured drivers, call Litster Frost today for professional help with the matter. There is no need for any more anxiety or suffering. Let us help you make sure you know exactly the best legal action, and go back to driving safely.