Results First, Fees Later
(208) 333-3366
Auto Accident / 2.26.2024

When Do You Need to Report a Car Accident In Idaho?

After you have been in an accident, the last thing you want to do is worry about paperwork and reporting. Unfortunately, there are several steps that must be followed in order to protect you and your loved ones after a wreck. 

How Does Location and Severity Affect Reporting Requirements

In the state of Idaho, the location and severity of a car accident can play a major role in determining reporting requirements. When an accident occurs within city limits, you are typically required to report it if there are any injuries, death, or property damage exceeding $1,500.  

This may not be the case in rural areas, where the threshold for property damage can be much lower. This is why it is important to look into local requirements for reporting if you find yourself involved in a car accident in a place you are not familiar with. 

Litster Frost Injury Lawyers understands the nuances of Idaho's reporting requirements. Our experienced team can help you understand how the location and severity of your accident can influence the steps you need to to protect your rights and navigate the legal aftermath. Contact us at (208) 333-3366 to speak with a personal injury attorney about your case. 

When Do I Need To Report My Car Accident

In the wake of an accident, reporting in a timely manner is essential. In Idaho, if your car accident occurs within city limits and results in injury, death, or property damage over $1,500, you are obligated to report it to law enforcement immediately. 

Prompt reporting becomes even more important with severe accidents. If your accident results in significant injuries or fatalities, immediate reporting is mandatory, regardless of the location. In such cases, the details recorded in the accident report play a major role in determining liability and may significantly influence insurance claims and legal proceedings. 

Who Do I Report To?

After a car accident, there is often some confusion on who to report the accident to. Most people would default to the local police station but this is not always the right call. While calling city police in urban or suburban areas is standard practice, local police are only at liberty to handle accidents within their jurisdictions.

In more rural settings where city police may be able to respond, you may have to contact the  county sheriff's office instead. County sheriffs have authority over broader regions, covering areas outside of city limits. 

Major roadways such as highways and interstates are entirely different from city or rural car accidents. When an accident occurs on county roads, highways, or in areas without a municipal police force, you typically have to report the accident to the county sheriff. For accidents occurring on state highways or interstates, you may have to report the accident to state troopers, as they have jurisdiction over these major thoroughfares. 

What Are the Penalties For Failing To Report My Accident?

Penalties for failing to report a car accident in Idaho can vary based on the circumstances and the severity of the incident, but they can be severe. If you are involved in a car accident that results in damages or injuries you could lose your driver’s license, be fined, or even find yourself in jail. 

On top of any legal repercussions you might face, insurance companies may also penalize you for failing to report an accident to the authorities. In many cases insurance companies can use the absence of a police report as a factor when assessing claims, and failure to report could keep you from being properly compensated for damages.

What Else Should I Do Following An Accident

Outside of the applicable legal requirements for reporting an accident, there are several other things that need to be done if you are involved in a car accident.

Exchange Information

After an accident it is crucial to exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance information, and vehicle details with all other parties involved. If possible you should also try to get contact information for any witnesses.

Document the Scene

Take pictures of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, license plates, and the overall situation. This documentation can be valuable for insurance claims and legal purposes.

Seek Medical Attention

Even if you don't believe you are seriously injured, you should always seek medical attention. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent and some minor injuries can worsen if left unchecked. 

Notify Your Insurance Company

Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Make sure to provide accurate and detailed information about the incident. 

Consult with an Attorney

If there are injuries or significant property damage, consider consulting with a personal injury attorney. Litster Frost Injury Lawyers are Idaho's premier personal injury attorneys, and we are here for you! If you have been injured in a car accident, trust our experienced team to fight for the compensation you deserve. 
Call us today for a confidential consultation, and let Litster Frost be your advocate in seeking justice and recovery.

Share This Story

If you find this information useful, consider sharing this story to your social media channels. Help us make this community a better place.

We are Idahoan, and we represent our people. Our attorneys stand ready to adeptly represent your interests, navigating the complexities of your case every step of the way.

uploadmagnifiercrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram